Neurophysiotherapy is a branch of physiotherapy which treats motor deficits arising from pathology in the nervous system. Due to the complexities of the central nervous system, people with neurological problems can have a variety of problems. These include muscle stiffness, spasticity, weakness of muscle, tremor, problems with sensation, gait and balance impairements etc These symptoms can lead to problems with everyday activities such as walking, getting dressed and feeding.
Neuro Physiotherapy aims to identify and maximize movement potential andquality of life. The treatment programme is specific and based on goals identified during the initial assessment. These may include education, training, posture awareness, strengthening, stretching, sitting balance, standing balance, and walking practice. We address issues proactively to prevent long term problems from developing. The unique rehabilitation programme will aim to promote or enhance the movement potential in weaker muscle groups. Once the short term goals are achieved, a combination of neurophysiotherapy and the use of modalities like FES machines, Massage Therapy, Neuro Pilates and or Personal Training may be recommended to maintain and enhance your progress.
We the Neurophysiotherapists are specialised in the assessment and treatment of individuals who have neurological conditions. We have many years of experience of working with people with neurological problems, in the hospital, community and outpatient settings.
Pediatric Physiotherapy is the treatment and care of babies, children and young people from birth to 19 years. Paediatric Physiotherapists promote the health and wellbeing of children and have additional knowledge and experience of child development. Treatment is based upon assessment of the child’s needs and the formation of an individual treatment programme. Werecognize the importance of working in partnership with the child, parents and other professionals like occupational therapist, speech therapist to maximise a child’s physical abilities and independence.
Our pediatricoutpatient department is well furnished with various equipment’s that can be used for rehabilitation. It includes trampoline, cerebral palsy walker, peanut balls, Swiss balls, equilibrium boards. Treatment approaches our paediatric therapists utilizes are Neuro developmental therapy, Roods approach, Vojta’s concept and Core restoration. We are concerned with movement, co-ordination, posture and the cardiorespiratory system. The approach is holistic and practical, with an emphasis on gross motor function and posture. We assess and treat wide range of conditions including cerebral palsy, downs syndrome, nerve injury, preterm babies, muscular dystrophy, obesity, neural tube deficits and postural problems
A Continuous physiotherapy education programme on “Key Concepts in Stroke Rehabilitation” was organised by the Neurological physiotherapy department, Saveetha College of physiotherapy on 10.01.2017
Vertical Integration Program conducted by pediatric and pediatric physiotherapy department. PGs Ms.Divya and Ms.Janani along with Dr.Kiruthika presented.
Designation: Assistant professor
Department: Neurological Physiotherapy
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Role & Responsibilities:
- Working as Assistant Professor from April 2010 till date
- Clinical in charge for Physiotherapy Department from June 2010 to October 2016.
- Member secretary for various college committees, currently member for the research cell for the College and University,
- Member of Research Alliance Structure for University committee.
Expertise Area of Interest: Neurological Physiotherapy
Expertise & Research: Dysphagia, Neural mobilisation, Manual Neuromechanics
Achievements: Secured University First in 2007-09 Batch - Master of Physiotherapy, Saveetha University, Chennai.
Resource person for CME/CPE/Workshop
- The topic of ROLE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY IN STROKE REHABILITATION on 29th October 2010 at Saveetha Medical College and Hospital, Saveetha University, Chennai
- The topic of ROLE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY IN LEPROSY CONFERENCE on 9th August 2010 at Saveetha Medical College and Hospital, Saveetha University, Chennai
- Topic of Introduction to Long Wave Diathermy on National Level CPE Advanced Electrotherapy & Electro Diagnosis Held on 21stFebruary 2015 at SaveethaCollege of Physiotherapy, Saveetha University, Chennai
- Topic of Key concepts behind neurological Approaches of 3rd National Physiotherapy conference held on 15th March, 2015 at Vaagdevi college of Physiotherapy, Warangal.
1. A.Kumaresan, S.Prathap, Vaiyapuri Anandh A Study To Determine The Influence Of Body Mass Index On Balance Using Functional Reach Test In Standing And Sitting. International Journal of Current Research and Review.2012; 04 (5):22 (Cited by 1)
2. A.Kumaresan, G deepthi, Vaiyapuri Anandh, S.PrathapEffectiveness Of Positional Release Therapy In Treatment Of Trapezitis. International Journal Of Pharmaceutical Science And Health Care.2012 ;01(2):71
3. A.Kumaresan, Thirugnanatheepan Kavithayini the Impact Of Body Mass Index On Performance Of The Star Excursion Balance Test. International Journal OfPharmaceutical Science And Health Care.2012;02 (2):79
4. Mazhar Khan S, Prathap S, Kumaresan A Study To Compare The Effect Of Cognitive Dual Task Versus Motor Dual Task On Balance Training In Stroke Patients. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013; 2 (9):1769-1776.
5. J.Yasmeen Sulthana, A.Kumaresan Effect Of Mc Connell Taping In Reducing Pain And Impairment In Patello Femoral Pain Syndrome. International Journal of Biology,Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013:40
6. Mazhar Khan S, A.Kumaresan, S.Prathap The Effect Of Apley’s Maneuver And Brandt And Daraff Exercises In Benign Positional Vertigo. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013:74
7. Jagatheesan Alagesan, A. Kumaresan, Vaiyapuri Anandh, Gokulakannan Kandasamy. Knowledge of Undergraduate Medical Students regarding Current Physiotherapy Profession. Journal of Research in Medical Education and Ethics. 2014; 4(3):297-302.
8. Reziya parveen, A.Kumaresan, K.Rekha. A Comparative study of plantar fascia tissue stretching and Achilles tendon stretching for chronic heel pain.International Journal of advanced Life science (IJALS). 2015;8(1)
9. K.R.Vishnupriya,A.Kumaresan,Jagatheesanalagesan,S.Prathap.Effectiveness of neural mobilization and cervical glides for patients with cervical radiculopathy. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biology.2015;5(3):199-202.
10. Dr.A.Kumaresan,Dr.Gitasrichakraborty,Dr.R.Arunachalam,Sr.Kiruthika.S,Dr.S.Prathap, Dr.K.Arivoli. A Comparative study of lumbar traction and straight leg raising in the management of sciatica.International Journal OfPharmaceutical Science And Health Care 2016;2(6)
11. S.divya,R.Arunachalam,A.Kumaresan,S.Kiruthika.Comparing the effects of modified epley’s maneuver and cawthorne Cooksey exercise with brandt-Daroff exercise in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences(IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):B706-711.
12. Arunachalam R,Janani R,Kumaresan A,Kiruthika.Trunk rotation for improving weight transmission through hemiplegic lower extremity. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):(B)939-942.
13. A.Kumaresan,Dr.J.Anton Mahiba.Effect of core muscle exercise im improving reaching activities in participants with hemiplegia. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS).2016 July; 7(3):(B)1096-1104.
14. Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri, Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi, A.Kumaresan, Kiruthika.S. Study on Correlation of prognosis in balance and gait velocity following trunk dissociation training in hemiplegia. Biomedicine.2016; 36(1):80-85.
15. Ongoing Faculty Research: Title: Physiotherapy management for idiopathic bell’s palsy
EMAIL ID: email@example.com
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To teach, motivate and direct students to maximise the performance by encouraging a positive and energetic environment and ability to work and execute in challenging environment and tight schedule.
- To provide and rehabilitate patients to help them with avoid injury and self-manage long term condition.
- Currently handling classes for Undergraduates students – final year (PT neuro), 3 rd semester (Electrotherapy) and handling Neuro physiotherapy and Paediatric physiotherapy OPD.
AREAS OF INTEREST,EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH- AWARDS &ACHIEVEMENTS:
- “FOUNDER CHANCELLOR SHRI N.P.V.RAMASAMY UDAYAR CASH AWARD for highest marks in 1 st Year- BPT UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION”
- “THIRU N.P.V.RAMASAMY UDAYAR GOLD MEDAL”for best outgoing student in B.P.T course 2012”.
- “THE BEST OUTGOING INTERN” during the internship period July 2012 to December 2012”.
- “PHYSIOTHERAPY EDUCATION FUND GOLD MEDAL” For best outgoing student in M.P.T (Neuro sciences) course 2015.
- Area of interest: Pediatrics, Geriatrics and Neurological Rehabilitation
- Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 939 – 942.TRUNK ROTATION TRAINING FOR IMPROVING WEIGHT TRANSMISSION THROUGH HEMIPLEGICLOWER EXTREMITY. Arunachalam R, Janani ,Kumaresan A, S. Kiruthika.
Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 706 – 711.COMPARING THE EFFECTS OF MODIFIED EPLEY’SMANEUVER AND CAWTHORNE– COOKSEYEXERCISE WITH BRANDT –DAROFF EXERCISE INBENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGO. S.Divya , R. Arunachalam , A. Kumaresan and S. Kiruthika.
Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 361 – 365.INFLUENCE OF FEAR OF FALL ON BALANCE AMONG COMMUNITY DWELLING OLDER ADULTS-LITERATURE REVIEW. Kiruthika.S and C M Radhika
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Health Care Issue 6, Vol. 2 (March-April 2016). ACOMPARATIVE STUDY OF LUMBAR TRACTION AND STRAIGHT LEG RAISING IN THE MANAGEMENT OF SCIATICA. A.kumaresan, Gitasri Chakraborty, Arunachalam.R, Kiruthika.S, S.Prathap, Arivoli.K.
Designation : Tutor
Email ID : VishnuPriya.firstname.lastname@example.org
Current academic role & responsibility :
- To enable the disabled patients. Handling neuro physiotherapy OPD and IPD and also to provide agreat opportunity for the students to enhance themselves in clinical practice.
- Member in the library committee
- To build a strong foundation in students for betterment of professional standards. Handling exercise therapy and PT neuro subjects.
Areas of Interest :
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Pediatric rehabilitation