Neurophysiotherapy is a branch of physiotherapy which treats motor deficits arising from pathology in the nervous system. Due to the complexities of the central nervous system, people with neurological problems can have a variety of problems. These include muscle stiffness, spasticity, weakness of muscle, tremor, problems with sensation, gait and balance impairements etc These symptoms can lead to problems with everyday activities such as walking, getting dressed and feeding.
Neuro Physiotherapy aims to identify and maximize movement potential andquality of life. The treatment programme is specific and based on goals identified during the initial assessment. These may include education, training, posture awareness, strengthening, stretching, sitting balance, standing balance, and walking practice. We address issues proactively to prevent long term problems from developing. The unique rehabilitation programme will aim to promote or enhance the movement potential in weaker muscle groups. Once the short term goals are achieved, a combination of neurophysiotherapy and the use of modalities like FES machines, Massage Therapy, Neuro Pilates and or Personal Training may be recommended to maintain and enhance your progress.
We the Neurophysiotherapists are specialised in the assessment and treatment of individuals who have neurological conditions. We have many years of experience of working with people with neurological problems, in the hospital, community and outpatient settings.
Pediatric Physiotherapy is the treatment and care of babies, children and young people from birth to 19 years. Paediatric Physiotherapists promote the health and wellbeing of children and have additional knowledge and experience of child development. Treatment is based upon assessment of the child’s needs and the formation of an individual treatment programme. Werecognize the importance of working in partnership with the child, parents and other professionals like occupational therapist, speech therapist to maximise a child’s physical abilities and independence.
Our pediatricoutpatient department is well furnished with various equipment’s that can be used for rehabilitation. It includes trampoline, cerebral palsy walker, peanut balls, Swiss balls, equilibrium boards. Treatment approaches our paediatric therapists utilizes are Neuro developmental therapy, Roods approach, Vojta’s concept and Core restoration. We are concerned with movement, co-ordination, posture and the cardiorespiratory system. The approach is holistic and practical, with an emphasis on gross motor function and posture. We assess and treat wide range of conditions including cerebral palsy, downs syndrome, nerve injury, preterm babies, muscular dystrophy, obesity, neural tube deficits and postural problems
A Continuous physiotherapy education programme on “Key Concepts in Stroke Rehabilitation” was organised by the Neurological physiotherapy department, Saveetha College of physiotherapy on 10.01.2017
Designation: Associate Professor
Department: Neurological Physiotherapy
EMAIL ID: email@example.com
- In charge Neuro Physiotherapy department
- SCPT coordinator - ISO standardisation
- SCPT college coordinator – University Research management Committee
- Member secretary – extracurricular and co curricular committee
- Member – Board of studies, Saveetha University.
- Class coordinator – 2nd semester –additional batch
- Have been a resource person for workshop conducted in various places on BRUNNSTROM “Neuro Movement Therapy”
* Cudalore Association of physiotherapy inaugural CPE
* Dr.MGR University , Chennai.
* Madha college of Physiotherapy, Kundrathoor, Chennai.
- Resource person for one day CPE on “Stroke management” at Government college of Physiotherapy, Trichy.
- Resource person for a session on “Neurological Rehabilitation” in the two day International conference titled “Symbiosis of Physiotherapy & Ayurveda’ conducted by Sri Chandrasekarendra Sarawathi Viswa Maha Vidyalaya University, enathur, Kancheepuram.
- Have been providing Guest lectures to Inspectors of GOVT. OF INDIA NATIONAL ACADEMY OF CUSTOMS EXCISE AND NARCOTICS, CHENNAI on various topics like preventive medicine, fitness, YOGA, stress management, alternative medicine etc.
- Have been the quiz master at Strides 2014 international seminar conducted by Saveetha University.
- Have conducted a one day programme on fitness and stress management for officers at Reserve Bank of India(RBI), Chennai.
- Have taken the Core Responsibility of Establishing the OUT PATIENT DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOTHERAPY at Dr.M.G.R.University.
- Have been the clinical incharge of the out patient department of physiotherapy at Dr.M.G.R.University from April 2007 to June 2008.
- Have been the in charge for organizing Medical camps conducted by Dr.M.G.R University and ACS General hospital in various areas of Chennai.
- Has been a successful Guide for 16 project works of under graduates and 3 dissertation work of the post graduates students in Dr. M.G.R. University since January 2007.
- Have been a regular external examiner to the following universities
a. Tamil nadu Dr.MGR Medical university, Guindy, Chennai
b. Pondicherry University
c. Sri Ramachandra University, Porur, Chennai.
d. Dr.MGR Deemed University, Madhuravoil, Chennai.
Area of interest
- Stroke rehabilitation, Trunk rehabilitation – Trunk movement analysis and restoration of normal function of trunk in neurological rehabilitation.
- YOGA as a part of rehabilitation – Different planes of life and philosophical reasoning for human behavior.
- Janakiraman Balamurugan , Arunachalam Ramachandran. “Effect of Repetitive Unilateral and Bilateral Arm Training Using Students Designed Manual Reach Equipment (MRE) in Improving Motor Function of the Hemiplegic Subjects” International Journal of Health Sciences & Research (www.ijhsr.org) Vol.2; Issue: 6; September 2012
- Janakiraman Balamurugan1, Paulraj Anantha Raja1, Nagaraj S, Arunachalam Ramachandran, Intra Rater And Inter Rater Reliability Of Sway Graph In Elderly Subjects, Int J Cur Res Rev, Oct 2012 / Vol 04 (20)106-111
- Arunachalam Ramachandran “Focal Dystonia – single case study” Ayursurabhi Bimonthly Ayurvedic magazine, issue 4; February 2013.
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Significance of Early Trunk Intervention Following Stroke - A Systematic Review, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, Proceedings of International Physiotherapy Conference - STRIDE-13, 18th and 19th October 2013, Page 70, Abstract 68
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, “Effectiveness of Yoga Versus aerobic exercises in controlling obesity in young adults” International Journal of Ayurvedic and Alternative Medicine, issue 1, volume 2, December 2013.
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Janakiraman Balamurugan, “Bilateral Upper Extremity Task Specific Training (TST) And Bobath Neuro Developmental Therapy (NDT) In Functional Recovery Of Stroke” International Journal Of Pharmacy and Industrial Research, vol-3(04) 2013[301-305]
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Significance of exercise in rehabilitation of lumbar intervertebral disc prolapse, Ayursurabhi, issue 8 volume IX, May-June,2014.
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Comparing the effectiveness of Murivenna with phonophoresis and YOGA in treating glenohumeral subluxation following pakshagatham, Ayursurabhi, issue 9 volume IX, July-August,2014.
- Aravind D, A.A.N. Uday Kumar, Arunachalam Ramachandran, Effectiveness of eclectical approach in management of triple ligament injury of knee joint – A case study, ICRS 2014, National College Trichy, ISBN : 978-81-908942-2-7 page 68-71
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Comparing the effectiveness of Murivenna and Mahanarayana thailam with phonophoresis in treating DOMS of calf muscle, ICRS 2014, National College Trichy, ISBN : 978-81-908942-2-7 page 80-82.
- S. Swaminathan, Arunachalam Ramachandran, Effectiveness Of Combining Ayurveda And Physiotherapy In Treating Motor Developmental Delay – An Experimental Single Case Study, International Journal Of Ayurveda & Alternative Medicine– VOL 2/ ISSUE 4 – July- Aug - 2014 105-109
- Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi, Arunachalam Ramachandran, A Comparative Study to find the Effectiveness of Single Bout vs Recurrent Bout of Walking in reducing the Blood Glucose Level on Type 2 Diabetes Patients ‘The International Journal of science and technology, Volume 1I, Issue XI, October, 2014 Page no 72-76 ISSN 2321 – 919X
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri , Jagatheesan Alagesan and Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi “Trunk dissociation retrainer” for improving balance, functional activities and gait in hemiplegia. International jounal of pharma bio sciences 2015 july; 6(3): (b) 805 – 811
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri , Jagatheesan Alagesan and Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi “Trunk dissociation retrainer” for improving balance and gait has been provisionally accepted for publication in Indian Journal of Physiotherapy & Occupational Therapy for July-Sep 2015 publication
- Arunachalam Ramachandran,Aanandh vaiyapuri andchandrasekar “Effect of trunk dissociation retrainer” in improving reaching capacity in hemiplegic subjects international journal of pharma and bio sciences
- Dr.A.Kumaresan,Dr.Gitasrichakraborty,Dr.R.Arunachalam,Sr.Kiruthika.S,Dr.S.Prathap, Dr.K.Arivoli A Comparative study of lumbar traction and straight leg raising in the management of sciatica International Journal OfPharmaceutical Science And Health Care 2016;2(6)
- S.divya,R.Arunachalam,A.Kumaresan,S.Kiruthika Comparing the effects of modified epley’s maneuver and cawthorne Cooksey exercise with brandt-Daroff exercise in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences(IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):B706-711.
- Arunachalam R,Janani R,Kumaresan A,Kiruthika Trunk rotation for improving weight transmission through hemiplegic lower extremity International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):(B)939-942.
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri And L.Chandrasekar Effect of trunk dissociation retrainer” in improving Reaching capacity in hemiplegic subjects Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 Jan; 7(1): (B) 559 - 564
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri, Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi, A.Kumaresan, Kiruthika.S Study on Correlation of prognosis in balance and gait velocity following trunk dissociation training in hemiplegia Biomedicine – Vol. 36 No. 1: 2016, 80-85.
- Jesse Magh, G.Deepthi And R.Arunachalam Effects of trunk control exercise with swiss ball in improving trunk Performance in stroke patients-single blinded study. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 April; 7(2): (B) 824 - 829
- Jesse Magh* And R.Arunachalam “Effect of forced inspiratory and expiratory manuever In patients with cervical spondylosis”Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 April; 7(2): (B) 766 - 771
- Arunachalam Ramachandran, Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi. Trunk Rotation Training as a tool in improving weight transmission through the paretic lower Limb in hemiplegiay Arch Physiother Glob Res 2016; 20 (2): 39-43
- Arunachalam Ramachandran1, Anandh Vaiyapuri2, L Chandrasekar3 Effects of “Trunk Dissociation Retrainer” in Improving Trunk Performance and Functional Activities in Hemiplegia Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy. January-March 2016, Vol. 10, No. 1, 160-165
- Jones Anand Raj John, A.Kumaresan, AnandhVaiyapuri, S.Prathap, ArunachalamRamachandran , Kiruthika.S. Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy after stroke-A Review of Evidences(Accepted)Biomedicine -Manuscript ID is BM-36(3)10
- S.Harish Kumar*, S. Kiruthika, R. Arunachalam, A.Kumaresan Cardio Respiratory Review Physiotherapy Management in Rett’s Syndrome-Literature(Accepted) International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS) Manuscript no: 8479
Designation: Assistant professor
Department: Neurological Physiotherapy
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Role & Responsibilities:
- Working as Assistant Professor from April 2010 till date
- Clinical in charge for Physiotherapy Department from June 2010 to October 2016.
- Member secretary for various college committees, currently member for the research cell for the College and University,
- Member of Research Alliance Structure for University committee.
Expertise Area of Interest: Neurological Physiotherapy
Expertise & Research: Dysphagia, Neural mobilisation, Manual Neuromechanics
Achievements: Secured University First in 2007-09 Batch - Master of Physiotherapy, Saveetha University, Chennai.
Resource person for CME/CPE/Workshop
- The topic of ROLE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY IN STROKE REHABILITATION on 29th October 2010 at Saveetha Medical College and Hospital, Saveetha University, Chennai
- The topic of ROLE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY IN LEPROSY CONFERENCE on 9th August 2010 at Saveetha Medical College and Hospital, Saveetha University, Chennai
- Topic of Introduction to Long Wave Diathermy on National Level CPE Advanced Electrotherapy & Electro Diagnosis Held on 21stFebruary 2015 at SaveethaCollege of Physiotherapy, Saveetha University, Chennai
- Topic of Key concepts behind neurological Approaches of 3rd National Physiotherapy conference held on 15th March, 2015 at Vaagdevi college of Physiotherapy, Warangal.
1. A.Kumaresan, S.Prathap, Vaiyapuri Anandh A Study To Determine The Influence Of Body Mass Index On Balance Using Functional Reach Test In Standing And Sitting. International Journal of Current Research and Review.2012; 04 (5):22 (Cited by 1)
2. A.Kumaresan, G deepthi, Vaiyapuri Anandh, S.PrathapEffectiveness Of Positional Release Therapy In Treatment Of Trapezitis. International Journal Of Pharmaceutical Science And Health Care.2012 ;01(2):71
3. A.Kumaresan, Thirugnanatheepan Kavithayini the Impact Of Body Mass Index On Performance Of The Star Excursion Balance Test. International Journal OfPharmaceutical Science And Health Care.2012;02 (2):79
4. Mazhar Khan S, Prathap S, Kumaresan A Study To Compare The Effect Of Cognitive Dual Task Versus Motor Dual Task On Balance Training In Stroke Patients. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013; 2 (9):1769-1776.
5. J.Yasmeen Sulthana, A.Kumaresan Effect Of Mc Connell Taping In Reducing Pain And Impairment In Patello Femoral Pain Syndrome. International Journal of Biology,Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013:40
6. Mazhar Khan S, A.Kumaresan, S.Prathap The Effect Of Apley’s Maneuver And Brandt And Daraff Exercises In Benign Positional Vertigo. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences.2013:74
7. Jagatheesan Alagesan, A. Kumaresan, Vaiyapuri Anandh, Gokulakannan Kandasamy. Knowledge of Undergraduate Medical Students regarding Current Physiotherapy Profession. Journal of Research in Medical Education and Ethics. 2014; 4(3):297-302.
8. Reziya parveen, A.Kumaresan, K.Rekha. A Comparative study of plantar fascia tissue stretching and Achilles tendon stretching for chronic heel pain.International Journal of advanced Life science (IJALS). 2015;8(1)
9. K.R.Vishnupriya,A.Kumaresan,Jagatheesanalagesan,S.Prathap.Effectiveness of neural mobilization and cervical glides for patients with cervical radiculopathy. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biology.2015;5(3):199-202.
10. Dr.A.Kumaresan,Dr.Gitasrichakraborty,Dr.R.Arunachalam,Sr.Kiruthika.S,Dr.S.Prathap, Dr.K.Arivoli. A Comparative study of lumbar traction and straight leg raising in the management of sciatica.International Journal OfPharmaceutical Science And Health Care 2016;2(6)
11. S.divya,R.Arunachalam,A.Kumaresan,S.Kiruthika.Comparing the effects of modified epley’s maneuver and cawthorne Cooksey exercise with brandt-Daroff exercise in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences(IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):B706-711.
12. Arunachalam R,Janani R,Kumaresan A,Kiruthika.Trunk rotation for improving weight transmission through hemiplegic lower extremity. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS).2016 July;7(3):(B)939-942.
13. A.Kumaresan,Dr.J.Anton Mahiba.Effect of core muscle exercise im improving reaching activities in participants with hemiplegia. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences (IJPBS).2016 July; 7(3):(B)1096-1104.
14. Arunachalam Ramachandran, Anandh Vaiyapuri, Rajkumar Krishnan Vasanthi, A.Kumaresan, Kiruthika.S. Study on Correlation of prognosis in balance and gait velocity following trunk dissociation training in hemiplegia. Biomedicine.2016; 36(1):80-85.
15. Ongoing Faculty Research: Title: Physiotherapy management for idiopathic bell’s palsy
EMAIL ID: email@example.com
CURRENT ACADEMIC ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To teach, motivate and direct students to maximise the performance by encouraging a positive and energetic environment and ability to work and execute in challenging environment and tight schedule.
- To provide and rehabilitate patients to help them with avoid injury and self-manage long term condition.
- Currently handling classes for Undergraduates students – final year (PT neuro), 3 rd semester (Electrotherapy) and handling Neuro physiotherapy and Paediatric physiotherapy OPD.
AREAS OF INTEREST,EXPERTISE AND RESEARCH- AWARDS &ACHIEVEMENTS:
- “FOUNDER CHANCELLOR SHRI N.P.V.RAMASAMY UDAYAR CASH AWARD for highest marks in 1 st Year- BPT UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION”
- “THIRU N.P.V.RAMASAMY UDAYAR GOLD MEDAL”for best outgoing student in B.P.T course 2012”.
- “THE BEST OUTGOING INTERN” during the internship period July 2012 to December 2012”.
- “PHYSIOTHERAPY EDUCATION FUND GOLD MEDAL” For best outgoing student in M.P.T (Neuro sciences) course 2015.
- Area of interest: Pediatrics, Geriatrics and Neurological Rehabilitation
- Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 939 – 942.TRUNK ROTATION TRAINING FOR IMPROVING WEIGHT TRANSMISSION THROUGH HEMIPLEGICLOWER EXTREMITY. Arunachalam R, Janani ,Kumaresan A, S. Kiruthika.
Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 706 – 711.COMPARING THE EFFECTS OF MODIFIED EPLEY’SMANEUVER AND CAWTHORNE– COOKSEYEXERCISE WITH BRANDT –DAROFF EXERCISE INBENIGN PAROXYSMAL POSITIONAL VERTIGO. S.Divya , R. Arunachalam , A. Kumaresan and S. Kiruthika.
Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2016 July ; 7(3): (B) 361 – 365.INFLUENCE OF FEAR OF FALL ON BALANCE AMONG COMMUNITY DWELLING OLDER ADULTS-LITERATURE REVIEW. Kiruthika.S and C M Radhika
International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Health Care Issue 6, Vol. 2 (March-April 2016). ACOMPARATIVE STUDY OF LUMBAR TRACTION AND STRAIGHT LEG RAISING IN THE MANAGEMENT OF SCIATICA. A.kumaresan, Gitasri Chakraborty, Arunachalam.R, Kiruthika.S, S.Prathap, Arivoli.K.
Vertical Integration Program conducted by pediatric and pediatric physiotherapy department. PGs Ms.Divya and Ms.Janani along with Dr.Kiruthika presented.