What is Sports Physiotherapy?
Sports Physiotherapy is the specialized branch of physiotherapy which deals with injuries and issues related to sports people. Sports injuries do differ to everyday injuries. Athletes normally require high level performance and demand placed upon their body, which stresses their muscles, joints and bones to the limit. Sports physiotherapists help athletes recover from sporting injuries, and provide education and resources to prevent problems. Each sports physiotherapist usually has sport-specific knowledge that addresses acute, chronic and overuse injuries. Their services are generally available to sports men and women of all ages engaged in sports at any level of competition.
Sports Physiotherapy in Saveetha
Department of Sports Physiotherapy was established in 1998which offers Post Graduate program in Sports Physiotherapy. It has one of the most comprehensive research laboratories in the fields of, Human Performance, Sports Psychology, Exercise Physiotherapy, Kinanthropometry,and Exercise Physiology. On the teaching aspect you will develop a problem-solving and clinically reasoned approach to sports physiotherapy, athlete management and performance enhancement. The blended learning environment combines learning with face-to-face teaching and clinical skills practice. You will experience an innovative blend of knowledge-based, activity-based and experiential learning. You will be encouraged to have on-field exposure sports injury management through state and National Track, Field and Various Team Events.
1. Dr.Manikumar, Associate Professor
Deployed for on-field sports injury management for 22nd Tamilnadu Junior State Judo Championship held on 3rd and 4th November 2012at Dr.J. Jayalalitha basketball Indoor Stadium – Chennai
Deployed for on-field sports injury management for south Zone women’s tennis tournament organized by Association of Indian Universities held at Saveetha University.
Deployed as official Sports Physiotherapist for Junior Men and Women Basket Ball Championship organised by Tamil Nadu Basket Ball Association between 17-09-15 and 20-09-15 at Velammal engineering college, Chennai.
Deployed for on-field sports injury management for south Zone women’s tennis tournament organized by Association of Indian Universities held at Saveetha University between
On-field management for 10th Annual Amateur Muay Thai Championship 2015 held between 12 and 15 October 2015 at Jayalalitha Indoor Stadium - Chennai
Deployed for on-field sports injury management for south Zone Men’s tennis tournament organized by Association of Indian Universities held at Saveetha University
Sports Injury management for Senior national Judo Championship 2017 organized by Judo federation of India (JFI) and tamilnadu State Judo association at Dr. J. Jayallitha Indoor Stadium, Chennai. held on 25-02-17 and 26-02-17
Industrial Ergonomics One Day Seminar At - Siemens Group Pvt.Lt
DESIGNATION: Assistant Professor
EMAIL ID: email@example.com
- Class Co-ordinator – BPT I Year B Batch
- Member Secretary – Student Affairs Committee
- General Secretary – Saveetha College of Physiotherapy Alumni Association
- Nodal officer - Saveetha College of Physiotherapy
Visiting Faculty in Better Fitness for You (BFY) Sports and Fitness Academy – Mumbai since 2012.
1. Received Significant Contribution Award at 53rd Annual Conference of The Indian Association of Physiotherapists – Shimla
2. Special Award for Scientific Paper titled Gut Brain and Physiotherapy at Flair’16 held at Sri venkateshwara College of Physiotherapy, Puducherry
- Health & Fitness Training
- Sports Conditioning
- Sports & Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Personal Training
- Area of interest:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Gut Brain Axis
- Holistic Life Style Approach.
Certifications / Short Courses Done
- Certified Exercise Physiologist - American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Exercise Program Design - C.H.E.K Institute. USA
- Scientific Core Conditioning - C.H.E.K Institute. USA
- Certified Barefoot Rehab specialist – Evidence Based Fitness Academy (EBFA) - USA
- Kinesio Taping (K-Taping) – Basic Level.
- Dry Needling Licensure Program – Dry Needling Association, India
As Resource Person
- Workshop on Exercise Science – Chennai.
- Workshop on Functional Training – Chennai.
- Workshop on PNF Stretching – Bangalore.
- Workshop on Exercise Design – Bangalore.Workshop on PNF Stretching – Mumbai.
- Workshop on Stability Training – Mumbai.
- Workshop on Upper Body Plyometrics – Mumbai
- Guest Lecture on Exercise Program Design - Chennai
- Workshop on Sports Fitness – Chennai.
- Guest Lecture on Exercise Program Design – Shimla.
- Workshop on Core Conditioning and Assessment – Chennai.
- Workshop on Lifestyle interventions for Health at Indian Menopause Society – Chennai Chapter – Chennai
- Dr. J. Muthukumaran been a resource person in FITNESS PROFESSIONALS WORKSHOP 2017 held on 25&26th March 2017 at Hotel Savera.
- The Effects of Thoracic Thrust Manipulation and Neck Flexibility Exercises for the Management of Patients with Mechanical Neck Pain. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Health Care. 2012; 2(1): 54
- Effect of Transverse Abdominus and Gluteal Maximus Muscle Strengthening Exercises on Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences. 2013; 9(2):1777-1783
- Life Time Member in Indian Association of Physiotherapists.
- Life time member in International Alliance of Health and Fitness
- Annual Member in National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), USA– 2016-17
Research Presentations in Conferences
- A paper presented titled Effect of Plyometrics in Agility and Speed on Collegiate Football Players. At the International Congress held at Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- A poster presented titled Reliability of Screening Tests used in Cricket. At the International Sports Medicine Conference held at GNDU - Amritsar, Punjab.
- A paper presented titled Effect of Functional Resistance Training on Agility in Collegiate Football Players. At the International Conference on Physical Therapy. AIIMS 2011 – Delhi.
- A paper presented titled Effect of Circuit Training versus High Repetition Training on Cardiovascular Endurance in Normal subjects. At Bishop Heber College – Trichy.
- A paper presented titles Gut Brain and Physiotherapy at Flair’16 held at Sri venkateshwara College of Physiotherapy, Puducherry.
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS